Sunday, January 21, 2007

Stardust@Home - About Finding Stardust

http://stardustathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/about.php

So, around Jan. 1, I was just hanging around, looking at this and that, reading about what's new in technology, and lo, and behold, here's spinoff from SETI. Of course, nothing else would do, but I would have to check this Stardust thing out.

So I signed up for the tutorial, and spent the next hour or so looking for stardust trails.

This could be fun, except I'm a little bit of a perfectionist, and I hate getting things wrong (although I should be used to getting things wrong by now.... ).

So the gist of this is, I use a virtual telescope to examine photos for tiny grains of intersteller dust. It's not like I don't have anything to do with my time, you see. And here's something to consider... SETI uses your cpu power when you're not using.

Here's the real question... Does Stardust use my brainpower when I'm not using it??

No comments: